You can select which artist roles for any and all of your tracks that we deliver to Spotify.
We deliver this information on all new releases. We cannot retroactively add the roles to titles that have already been distributed.
Here is a list of definitions:
- Primary - The main artist that is performing on the track/album.
- Featuring - The artist who is a guest feature on the track/album.
- Composer - The person who contributed to the music.
- Lyricist – The writer of the words.
- Producer – The person/s in charge of a recording session, or the person/s who create the musical tracks that support the vocals.
- Remixer – Someone who creates a new sound-recording by using elements from pre-existing tracks.
To see how it will look on Spotify, click here and jump down to the bottom.
First, you will need to navigate to the Basic Single Information page. To do so, click directly on the release title at the top of the Title Overview page.
On the Basic Single Information page, you will have these options:
On the Track Information page, after you've added your songwriter to the bank, you will have the option to check whether they contributed lyrics, music, or both:
- If you select "lyrics", then that songwriter will be added as the "Lyricist".
- If you select "Music", then that songwriter will be added as the "Composer".
- If you select both Lyrics and Music, then that Songwriter will be added as the "Lyricist" and "Composer".
The Basic Album Information page will remain the same.
The Track Information page (for each individual track) will have the option to select the additional roles.
Artist Roles will be updated on the Track Summary page:
How it will look on Spotify
Primary Artist will be listed under the release name, in this example "By Chris Robley".
The Featuring Artist is listed next to the track followed by a dash "- Rob Flax"
On the artist page of the featuring artist, the release will appear under Appears On section
The "Appears On" section displays works that you are not listed as a primary artist on, but have contributed to as a performing artist or remixer. Located at the very end of a Spotify artist profile, the "Appears On" section bundles together releases where the artist is a featuring artist, vocal feature, remixer, and/or the inclusion of the artist's track/tracks on compilations. Note that you will only appear in the "Appears On" section if the original artist has included your artist name as a performer or remixer on the release.
For multiple primary artists on a release, each will be listed separated by a comma under the release name. Each primary artist will have the release under their own artist page. (In this example it's "ICONYK, UpsideDown, Soother".)
This does not apply to "Various Artists" releases.
Article is closed for comments.