If a song's music & lyrics were published before January 1, 1923, then the song is considered in the Public Domain in the US. Please visit pdinfo.com to learn more about Public Domain works and see a list of songs that qualify. It's important to know that if a work falls within the Public Domain, only that exact version is not protected under US copyright law. Other people may have created arrangements of that work that ARE under copyright. Do your research!
Articles in this section
- What do you mean by "sound-alike"?
- Holiday songs that are and are not in the Public Domain
- Do I need to get a license to offer streaming on my cover song?
- What IS a cover song?
- What is NOT a cover song?
- VIDEO: What is a Cover Song?
- VIDEO: What is a cover song? Can I sell them through CD Baby?
- Do I need to own all the rights to the music I'm selling?
- How can I sell an album that has cover songs?
- I already got permission for my cover song when I pressed my CD. Am I covered for downloads, too?