Apple offers listeners an immersive audio experience that makes it seem like the sound is coming from all around you. However, there are specific requirements your audio must meet, and a different submission process for this content.
For your release to be branded “Dolby Masters” on Apple the immersive source audio must meet the following requirements:
- The Dolby Atmos master file must be provided as a BWF ADM file using 24fps timecode for all tracks.
- All audio must be 24-bit LPCM audio at 48kHz.
- All deliverables must be conformed and synced to the original stereo reference masters.
- Target Loudness value should not exceed -18 LKFS measured as per ITU-R BS. 1770-4.
- True-peak level should not exceed -1 dB TP measured as per ITU-R BS. 1770-4.
- For albums where gapless playback is intended between tracks:
- Each album track must be delivered as an individual BWF ADM file.
- Each track boundary must be no more than half a frame (1,000 samples @ 48 kHz) earlier or later than the same track boundary in the corresponding stereo deliverable.
- There must be no additional silence at the end of each track when compared to the same track from the corresponding stereo deliverable.
Please note that while ATMOS supports up to 128 channels per track, we can only facilitate submissions that do not exceed 25 GB in total size.
How to Submit
To submit a Dolby Atmos release to CD Baby you will need to create two versions of the album: one that will use 16 bit 44.1 kHz files for distribution to all our partners except Apple, and one that meets the requirements listed above for distribution to Apple. This will require two paid submissions. You will also need a unique barcode each release. This process requires two paid submissions and two paid barcodes.
If you are ONLY interested in ordinary distribution to iTunes/Apple Music, then one Standard submission/UPC will suffice.
Setting Up Your Submissions
For the first submission, you will need to exclude iTunes when you are setting the digital distribution level. This submission's audio and artwork can both be uploaded directly in your account, and you can submit for distribution.
For the second submission, you will exclude ALL other partners except iTunes. You will still fill out all of the songwriter, language, publisher, and other information and upload the artwork. Do not upload the audio from within your account. Follow the directions below to submit your audio instead.
For the second, Apple Dolby Atmos submission, on the Distribution Options page be sure to check ONLY the box for “Apple iTunes.” Please note that if you want to include Apple Music, you MUST select “Downloads & Streaming” and still uncheck everything but “Apple iTunes.”
Sending the Files to CD Baby
Once the Apple Dolby Atmos submission is in place and paid for, please send us a link to the 24-bit files. We will deliver them to Apple. Make sure the subject line says "Apple Dolby Atmos".
Please include the following information in an email to email@example.com:
- CD Baby Username:
- UPC for the Apple Dolby submission:
- Artist Name:
- Album or Single Title:
- Name of Mastering House (if applicable):
- Mastering Engineer’s Name (if applicable):
- Engineer's Email Address (if applicable):
- Apple Dolby Atmos files download link:
You can use whatever file transfer service you prefer – DropBox, Hightail, Google Drive, WeTransfer, etc.
You will receive a response to the email with the link to your files from one of our Apple Dolby Atmos specialists within 2 to 7 business days. This is a manual, labor-intensive process. Please allow up to 7 business days for this reply.
Once the specialist has prepared your release the title will be inspected by the operations team. Please allow 2 - 7 additional business days for inspection. If there are any issues during inspection the Apple Dolby Atmos specialist will communicate that via email.
Once all of the files and information are formatted correctly, and the submission passes inspection, we will deliver your content to iTunes, where it will be live within 5-7 business days depending on your release date.