CD Baby complies with the tax laws of the United States. We cannot advise you on your personal tax obligations. Please consult a local tax professional.
Tax Forms to fill out as a CD Baby Client
Tax Forms you may receive as a CD Baby Client
Please note: You may receive multiple year-end tax forms for the same income, depending on your payment method. Be sure to consult with a local tax professional if you have questions.
Forms you need to fill out as a CD Baby Client
Special characters and diacritics are not accepted by our system at this time (ex. í, ó, ú, ç, ñ, ã, õ etc.)
If you need to update your tax forms, please look at the guidelines here.
Tax forms must be submitted in English, but you can view these forms translated into many languages here.
All tax forms MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA YOUR CD BABY ACCOUNT. Forms sent via fax or printed, mailed forms will be shredded without review.
W8 Form (for artists who are not residents of the U.S.)
If you earn money in — but do not pay taxes to — the United States, you are required to complete a W-8 tax form. This form must be submitted successfully for each account holder before we can begin paying you.
W9 Form (for artists who are residents of the U.S.)
A signed W-9 form is required by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for U.S. residents who receive money from payments. Without this, we cannot pay you.
Forms you may receive from CD Baby
Was I supposed to get a year-end tax form for 2021, and what tax information will be used to prepare it?
- Artists who file a W9 and have been paid $10 or more in eligible royalties by December 31st of the prior year, or who have had backup withholding applied in that period, will receive a 1099.
- If you should receive a 1099 for 2021, and you supply a W9 by March 31, 2022, that is the information that will be used to prepare your 1099 form for 2021. As of February 1, 2022 most 1099s have been issued. We will continue to issue those through March 31, 2022.
- Please note that unless backup withholding was applied, the following tax categories will NOT receive a 1099: C Corporation, S Corporation, LLC C Corporation, LLC S Corporation, and Tax Exempt Organizations.
- Artists who file a W8 form will receive a 1042-S form for all eligible royalties paid by December 31st regardless of the amount.
- If you should receive a 1042 for 2021, and you supply a W8 by March 31, 2022, that is the information that will be used to prepare your 1042 form for 2021. Those forms will be issued starting March 11, 2022.
CD Baby clients will receive a 1099 form if they are paid more than $10 in revenue for the year or were subject to default withholding. The 1099 reported income is based on earnings paid to you during the year, not earned for the year. You can download your End of Year Tax Statement from the Payment & Tax Information page in your dashboard.
Form 1042-S is used to report U.S. source income paid to non-U.S. citizens or residents and withholding information to the IRS. CD Baby makes one copy of this form available to you, and one to the IRS. If you supplied a form W-8, you will receive form 1042-S from CD Baby.
What do I do with Form 1042-S?
If you file US Income taxes, you may need to attach a copy of the 1042-S to your returns. If you file in a different country, requirements may differ.
When do I receive Form 1042-S?
1042-S for the year 2021 will be available in early 2022 either in your account or mailed to you. You can select the delivery method in the Payment & Tax info section of your account.
What if the information on the 1099 or 1042-S I received is incorrect?
Your 1099 or 1042-S was calculated using the information in your CD Baby account at the time it was created. If you need to update the information for future payments, please go to Payments & Tax Info in your CD Baby account.
If erroneous information was supplied, we can issue a corrected 1099 or 1042-S to change the following: the last or family name, the country or state of residence, the tax ID number. Please note, this is not a request to recalculate any earnings or withholding.
Before requesting a corrected form, please log into your CD Baby account and update your tax information.
To request the corrected form please click here, select "Sales, Payments, and Taxes", choose "Corrected 2021 replacement 1099 or 1042s" and fill out the form. In the description of the ticket please let us know if the correction is to the name, address, and/or tax ID number. Please do not share tax ID numbers as part of your request.
This chart shows the tax withholding rates that apply to each country if we have complete tax information, including a tax ID number.
We understand that non-profit and not-for-profit organizations may also be exempt from paying taxes, but we are still required to submit tax information in order to verify this with the IRS. We may also be required to send you a year-end, 1099 informational tax statement. This does not mean we do not understand your tax situation. As always, please consult a local tax professional if you have questions.
When supplying your tax information within your account:
- Select the Tax Classification of "Other"
- Provide a valid EIN or SSN for IRS verification