What is YouTube Monetization (Content ID) and how does it work?
Content ID is YouTube's automated scanning system that enables copyright owners (you) to identify YouTube videos that include your original content. Here's how it works:
- CD Baby delivers your music to Content ID. Your audio files are used as a reference for scanning.
- The Content ID system scans all the videos on YouTube and places a CD Baby claim on any videos which use your sound recording(s). A sound recording is your music/audio file.
- YouTube places an ad on the claimed video on your behalf in order to generate revenue.
- Any ad revenue generated from the claimed video will be reported to CD Baby on a quarterly basis, which then gets paid to you! Learn more about making money from YouTube here!
**If CD Baby has claimed a video on your behalf but you would rather monetize it on your own, please dispute our claim from within your YouTube account. Click here to see how.
Eligibility for Monetization
Before opting into Content ID it is important to ensure that your content is eligible to avoid falsely claiming other user’s content. In addition:
- Your release must be opted into YouTube Music AND have NO territory restrictions in order to sign up for Content ID.
- The content must be 100% original and owned by you in order to be eligible, but there are a couple other caveats. Check out this article to learn more.
More of a visual learner? Check out the video and infographic below.
Why should CD Baby help me monetize my music on YouTube?
If you need help monetizing your music all across YouTube, this service could be right for you.
Managing your copyrights on YouTube can be complicated and time-consuming. Our team of highly trained Content ID analysts are there to monitor and manage the use of your music, which may appear in any video on the platform. If your music appears in a video, we'll be there to monetize it on your behalf.
Content ID via CD Baby is also a free service, which can be added to any eligible release you distribute with us.
Lastly, you still hold 100% of your copyrights. We're just here to help identify it and monetize it on your behalf.
When will I see results from YouTube monetization?
YouTube has billions of videos — so it can take up to 3 weeks for them to identify all the videos that use your music and index them accordingly with their Content ID system. Once they are indexed, YouTube will start running ads on those videos.
YouTube reports ad revenue to us quarterly. For more details on how YouTube pays you, check this out.
What is the YouTube Partner Program (YPP)?
In order to monetize your content directly though YouTube, creators must qualify for the YouTube Partner Program. This gives creators the ability to earn ad revenue via AdSense as well as gain greater access to YouTube resources and features.
If you meet the requirements listed below and you’d prefer to have that control, YPP would be the way to go. However if you do not qualify, CD Baby's YouTube Monetization service is the best way to capture any and all revenue owed to you on YouTube.
To be eligible for the YouTube Partner Program your channel must:
- Follow all the YouTube monetization policies
- Live in a country or region where the YouTube Partner Program is available
- Have no active Community Guidelines strikes on your channel
- Have more than 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months
- Have more than 1,000 subscribers
- Have a linked AdSense account