What information do I provide if I’m covering a song from an artist I know personally?

NOTE: This process applies to Standard Singles Only

If you are selling a cover song but happen to know the songwriter personally there is often no need, and usually no means of securing a mechanical license. It is best though, even if it's a simple agreement among friends, to get something in writing for your own personal records (ie. an email, written/signed letter).  

In this situation when you are completing the submission on CD Baby you should do the following when asked about your cover song license:

  1. Under composition type click COVER SONG
  2. Indicate YES when asked if they have secured a license
  3. Choose LICENSING AGENCY from the drop-down
  4. Add "Private Agreement" in the License #/ID section


Have more questions? Submit a request
Powered by Zendesk