Yes you can, and many artists do. If you want to go direct to SoundExchange, you should absolutely do that. However, we have found that the SoundExchange registration process (especially when registering as a sound recording copyright owner) can be confusing and tends to trip up artists. Therefore many CD Baby artists have never registered to collect these royalties. In that event, we’ll inform SoundExchange who the rights holder is, and collect unclaimed royalties on your behalf.
Articles in this section
- Does CD Baby collect digital performance royalties from SoundExchange?
- What are digital performance royalties for sound recordings? (Also known as non-interactive royalties)
- What happens if I have unclaimed royalties at SoundExchange?
- Can’t artists get these royalties directly from SoundExchange?
- Can I Opt-In to SoundExchange royalty collection on a new releases?
- Cancelling from SoundExchange